Virals beaten back? Diabetic medicines’ sales rebound in April


MUMBAI: It seems we weathered flu and viral infections pretty well in April as anti-diabetic therapies bounce back, ousting antibiotics from their top spot.
Antidiabetic therapies Mixtard and Glycomet-GP made a comeback in the top five best selling brands list in the pharmaceutical retail market at over Rs 2 million, overtaking the popular antibiotic Augmentin. In recent months, as the country struggled with flu and Covid, the antibiotic has seen significant growth, even becoming the best-selling brand in February. It had overtaken the established market leader a few years ago – the antidiabetic therapy Human Mixtard.
Last month Mixtard took the top spot again followed by Glycomet-GP with sales of Rs 76 crore and Rs 73 crore respectively. Overall, April saw an 11% growth with sales of Rs 17,799 crore, according to the latest data from market research firm IQVIA.

Antibiotic Augmentin has seen sales rise since January and topped the list in February and March, coinciding with the flu and virus season in the country. It should be noted that Augmentin, which is a combination of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid, is believed to be effective against several types of bacteria, but is also used to treat viral infections. Respiratory problems appear to have worried some people, with Foracort taking third place (sales of Rs 68 crore) while antibiotic Augmentin slips to fourth with sales of Rs 59 crore.
In terms of therapies, respiratory drugs, anti-infectives, vaccines and pain relievers were the main market drivers. Indeed, respiratory drugs and anti-infectives saw the highest growth at 29% and 25%, respectively, over the month, declining from previous readings of 50% each in March, the data showed. Along with Augmentin, Calpol and others also saw the highest growth monocef in March.
Domestic companies hold a controlling 83% share of the pharmaceutical retail market, while the remaining 17% is held by multinational companies. Domestic companies have consistently outperformed multinationals over the past 12 months, according to an analyst from Motilal Oswal called. Among the top 20 companies is Mankind (up 19% year-on-year). YoY), Alembic (18% YoY), JB Chemicals (18% YoY), Macleods (16% YoY), Cipla (15% YoY), Alkem (14% YoY) and Ajanta (up 14% YoY ) all outperformed the pharmaceutical retail market, he added.

Source link


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:




More like this

India deserves to have non-stop flights to more overseas destinations: Air India CEO

NEW DELHI: Air India chief Campbell Wilson stressed...

379 infra projects show cost overruns of Rs 4.64 lakh crore in April

NEW DELHI: Up to 379 infrastructure projectseach requiring...

How to prepare a hardware startup for raising a Series A

Champ Suthipongchai contributor Champ Suthipongchai is Co-Founder and GP at...

Doing venture math on the non-alcoholic spirits industry

Hangovers suck. Particularly So for those who...